HISTORY OF THE JAMES H. LUCAS EMERITUS CHAIR
James H. Lucas was the Founding Member of the Atlanta Post of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) in 1940. Professor Lucas served for many years as an educator in the school of Civil Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology, where he was honored with the title of Professor Emeritus.
Professor Lucas served during World War I with the Corps of Engineers thus beginning his long association with Military Engineering. In addition to being a founding member of the Atlanta Chapter of SAME, Professor Lucas continued as an active post member for over 40 years. During his 40-year membership with the Atlanta Post, he served frequently as the Post Treasurer and established a record of 14 consecutive years as Atlanta Post treasurer before relinquishing his post in early 1980’s.
In January 1993, the Atlanta Post Board of Directors approved the establishment of the James H. Lucas Emeritus Chair to honor Professor Lucas’ long-standing dedication and service to the Atlanta Post and the Society of American Military Engineers. The Lucas Emeritus Chair award is periodically bestowed upon an Atlanta Post member in recognition of truly outstanding and long term service to the Atlanta Post (minimum of 10 years post service is required). Recipients of this award receive a life-time appoint to the Atlanta Post Board of Directors with all the privileges and authority of a Board member to serve the Society and the Atlanta Post.
As of February 2015, Jane C. Penny became the twelfth Atlanta Post member to have been bestowed the James H. Lucas Emeritus Chair.
2017 AWARD RECIPIENT:
- 2003 – 2013: Atlanta Post Readiness Committee.
- 2003 – present: SAME National Readiness Committee/Transportation Infrastructure Security Partnership.
- 2005: Atlanta Post Member of the Year
- 2005 -2007, 2009-2013, 2014-2016: Atlanta Post Board or Directors
- 2006-2007: Atlanta Post Vice President
- 2007-2008: Atlanta Post President
- 2008-2009: Atlanta Post Past President
- 2010: Volunteer as Operations Chair of the 2010 Atlanta JETC.
- 2012 & 2013: National V.P. of the Academy of Fellows and Chairman of the Golden Eagle Dinner.
- 2012- current: Atlanta Post Fellows liaison to the Young Member Committee.
- 2014-2016: Atlanta Post Fellows Committee Chairman (4 new Fellows approved by the National Committee under his leadership).
- 2014-present: Supports Exploring Engineering Academy as BSA representative from Flint River Council and Camp mentor, 2016.
- 2014-present: Southeastern Regional POC for Fellows.
- 2016-present: National Member of the SAME Board of Direction.
- 2016-present: National STEM Committee representing the Air Force and BSA.
- 2016: Co-chair of the National Small Business Conference.
Ray is a long time active, involved, doer, in the Atlanta Post with every intention of remaining active in the Atlanta Post as long as he lives in the Atlanta area.